Sunday, September 14, 2008

SwingKPE

I woke up 5:45am in the morning, took the MRT to Kovan Station while the sun is just getting up.
At 7am, the queue for the shuttle bus to the starting point is not long. Just a few minutes, I got on a bus. After getting down the bus, need to walk a few hundred meters to the starting point.

There is also a 5km Fun Run/Walk. They will carry a lantern in an attempt to break the world record of largest group of people carrying a lantern (little red colour ball attached to the red stick which contain the battery).
The start of the 10km race is right at the entrance to the tunnel and all 10km will be inside the tunnel. Basically, it is 5km into the tunnel and u-turn to the other tube and another 5km back to the exit of the tunnel. Part of the tunnel will be delibrately dark so that we can see the effect of the lanterns.
Some entertainment before the start of the race and there are game stall on the side for people to play after the race.
Overall, the tunnel is hot and humid inside. Just after 2-3km, I started to sweat heavily. But there is no wind to cool-off and speed up the evapouration of the sweat. The core temp just go up and at the half-way mark, I have to slow down to run-walk-run-walk sequence. There are two water points and give you a bottle of water. On the return leg, we also merged with the 5km fun run/walk. And I have to dodge people. And finish with a sprint in the last 100m with 1:07:42 timing. I was using the Nike Plus Sportband and it indicate a distance of 9.62km.

After the race, I collected the goodie bag. It contains a sports drink, a lantern, a hot/cold gel pack, a towel, a fan with LED light on it, 3 batteries for the fan, 3 packs of noodles, a water bottle, a bookmark and some coupons.

I did not have the finish certificate. Not sure whether it should be in the goodie bag. I did not bother to find out.

Then, I went forward to queue up for the shuttle bus to Kovan. The queue is long and not very well managed with people jumping the queue as well as the mix-up with the Community Center buses. It took me over 30 minutes in the queue to get on a bus.

No comments:

Post a Comment