Sunday, March 27, 2011

Twilight Ultra Challenge

The twilight ultra challenge is organised by sgrunners together with running guild. It is a 16 hours event that we go around a 5km stretch on the East Coast Park.  You can do whatever distance you want.

 
My plan is walk from beginning to end. If able to maintain averaged 9:36 pace, I suppose can cover 100km for the 16 hours. It works great in the first 25km. The plan was to build up a buffer early on for the 2H of the race. I was able to maintain about 8:40 average pace and completed the first 25km at around 3 hr 40 mintues. Therefore, I have a 20 minute buffer created. Then, I have my usual struggle in the middle of it from 30km to 40km. There is hotspot on my left foot which force me to change my shoe which took out about 5 minutes. My back started to hurt and need to make frequent stretches. I tried my best to keep the average pace to be 9:36.  At the 50km mark, the timing is 7 hr 50 minutes, meaning that it took 4 hr 10 mins for the 25km. The pace is slowly dropping back. While I can temporary boost my pace for 1-2km, I am not able to maintain a sub-9 min pace.

In comparison during Malacca 12 hr walk, other than the break & stretch, I was able to walk in sub-9 min pace.

The next 25km is even dragging. Blister form at around 60km on the left ball of the foot and I have to drain the liquid from my left foot blister at 65km which cost me 15 mins. Patch up with an extra cushion to avoid pressurizing the blister. I hang on for another 10km to complete 75km.  But the timing is at 12 hr 55 mins, way off the time that I need for a 100km.  I was sleepy and demoralized.  I lay off for about 20mins before taking another 5km.  I call it a day at around 7:15am in the morning. I could do another 5km or 7.5km. But don't want to put too much damage to the foot. A blister on ball of the foot can take a few weeks to heal completely.

After getting back home, I have a total of 5 blisters. Drain the liquid, patch it up. The one on the left ball of foot continue to hurt when I walk even at home.

I also have a strange situation. My salty sweat was causing real problem on both eyes. I have slight abrasion on both "eye-bag". I have to wash them every 2.5km from 50km onward. It does not happen before. Need to find out how to prevent it in the next round.

For the weight, I lost about 0.75kg. Think that my hydration plan is ok.

The drink & fruit are great. I appreciate that the volunteers are staying up late for us. A great practice to prepare for Sundown Ultra 100.  Now, I need to think about mitigation action to come up with a feasible plan to complete Sundown Ultra within the 16 hr cut off time.

No comments:

Post a Comment