Sunday, November 21, 2010

Penang Bridge International Marathon

This is my first time participate in Penang Bridge International Marathon. Since I visit Penang a few times a year, I always want to try it out. I collected the race pack when I arrived Penang on Wednesday.

The day before the race, a group of us went to have Penang char kway teow & Chendul

The race starts at 2am. When I was preparing, I was wondering whether I should wear a singlet or a t-shirt. Due to it rained the night before, and I am highly sensitive to cold weather, I decided to use t-shirt instead of Singlet.

The race starts and end at the Queensbay Mall. It go through the bridge and U-turn at the toll plaza.


It was normal at the beginning. It was a little bit hot and I was wondering whether I made the wrong choice to wear t-shirt. Then, after the u-turn on the bridge, the HEAVY rain came. The rain is really heavy, you feel the pain when the rain drop on the skin. In order to avoid hypothermia, I run a lot more than usual. The heavy rain last for about 45 minutes and then ease off to a drizzle. With the cooler temperature due to the rain, I was able to run more than usual. I was able to maintain run-walk all the way to 33km when I felt that I had a hotspot on my right foot. I switch to pure brisk walk from there. Overall time is 5 hr 36 minutes, 9 minutes faster than my expected time of 5 hr 45 minutes.

I was able to keep a fairly good pace throughout the marathon. The two fast pace are achieved during the downslope of the bridge. With the cooler temperature, the heartrate is relative low. The last 9km are pure brisk wall.

The finisher's medal is in a special shape and the finisher's t-shirt is in green colour. But the wording at the back is white which is difficult to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment