Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sundown Marathon Ultra 100km

I have been away in the last couple of weeks. This means that my last run/exercise before the Sundown Ultra was the Sundown Marathon. The lack of training reflects immediately even before the start. When I climbed up the stair to the top of Marina barrage, I had slight pain on my left knee. Right after the start, I tried to run down the "grass patch", I had slight pain on my left leg as well. Not a good sign at all. I reset my expectation to complete in 16.5 hr to merely to finish within cutoff.

Due to the uncomfortable left leg, I decided to walk instead of run/walk.  I started brisk walking right at the beginning, taking it easy in the first 3km at around 8:30 pace, accelerate a little bit to around 8:00 pace before the first pitstop. At the first pitstop, I just grab a bottle of water, a sandwich and a bag of chips. I did not stop at all. And settled my pace to a comfortable, non-aggressive pace of 8:30 to 9:00. I did the quick grab and go at the 2nd pitstop before the Changi Coastal road. I hit the half marathon distance at 3 hrs. At the long boring Changi Coastal Road, I focus on passing the next person in front of me. That keep me occupied and fully motivated. And I did passed a few.

The 30km stop is at Changi Beach Park, I did the same grab-n-go. But I started to feel a hot spot developed at the ball of foot in my left foot.  I stop and air it and it goes ok. The 40km stop is at Pasir Ris Park. While my spirit is still good, I have slow down further. Seeing the pitstop but still need to go a big loop around it is demoralizing. I did a brief stop at 40km. Mainly, eat, wash my face. Staying between 3 to 5 minutes in all subsequent pitstops. I hit the full marathon distance at 6 hr 24 mins which is about 5 minutes faster than my previous Sundown Ultra. I continue to have reasonable pace but find that my left foot hot spot is getting worst. I need to avoid hitting hard on my left foot, choosing to step on some of the metal drain cover instead of the concrete road. I typically don't like the sand/gravel track at Bedok, but this time, I like it. I hit the 50km around 7 hr 50 minutes. Got my drop bag, change t-shirt, shoe, sock, drink-n-eat, and get out of it at 8:03. There is still 10 hours available should be sufficient of time for me to finish.

I was walking slower and slower, after 60km, my blister finally comes. I stopped. pinch and drain the liquid and move on. The return leg of Pasir Ris Park is bad, boring and difficult to focus. In the next stretch of Pasir Ris Drive 3 & Loyang Ave, I was very slow and passed by some walkers. At 70km, my pace slows down to 10-11 min/km.

The return leg of Changi Coastal Road was horrible. I was sleepy, tired and almost lost the spirit. I was so slow that I was passed by quite a few. I finally find my rhythm about 2 km before the end of Changi Coastal Road. I was doing 200-300m relaxed walk and 100m aggressive brisk walk. This has help me to regain my spirit.

By the time I got to 80km pitstop, the sun is shining bright. Luckily, there was wind in ECP during the morning and helps a lot. And the familiar ECP helps to get back the spirit. I made the final pitstop on ECP. In the last 10km, I try to skip any break and just continue. The last 4km was under the strong sun and tough. One runner that I passed has no water and I let him took some of mine. In the last 2km, I accelerate and passed a few runners. On the Marina Barrage, I dash for 500m and passed another half a dozen. I even run up the ramp to the top of the Barrage.

In total, I brisk walked 99.5km, dash the last 500m and finished 17 hr 8 min 48 s.

My timing at 84km was about 30 mins faster than my 2009 Sundown Ultra timing. I am happy with the result.

I want to thank the numerous supporter along the way. Many stay up throughout the night providing drinks, cheer and taking photos. The supporter really help us to maintain our spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment