Monday, December 28, 2009

MR25 Ultra Marathon

The MR25 is not on my original schedule. I was not sure whether I recover sufficient to participate. Even though I packed my bags the night before, when I woke up at 5am, I was still struggling whether I should join the event.

I already had two Ultra events recently (HK trailwalker on 20/21-Nov and Putrajaya 12 hr walk on 13-Dec). My right leg ITB was not fully recovered when I participate the Putrajaya walk. And I got another injury on my right ankle during the Putrajaya. I did have two short distance race walking practice that go through ok. At the end, I went over the MacRitchie.

I did not register before hand and just put my name down on the spot with $35 registration fee. The race started at 7am and last for 12 hours, going around the MacRitchie Reservoir for as many laps as you want. I decided to just walk all the way. Either complete 5 laps or 6 laps.


I completed my first lap of 10.5km in around 1:31:00, pretty reasonable timing. Part of the loop was quite muddy. Almost every participate has lots of dirty on the shoes, socks and legs. I was keeping my pace slow at the beginning and use some of racewalking half way after I have fully warm up. In the golf link, I was able to do a 8:11 for a km. But from about 3km in my 2nd loop, my right ankle injury comes back. I had to adjust the way that I walk in order to reduce stress on my right ankle. My second lap slowed down to about 1:40:00. I took a short break and started my 3rd loop. This time, it took my 1:45:00, still a reasonable timing. But then, may be due to my adjustment to compensate for the right ankle, I developed a problem with my left leg ITB. Most of the time, it is not a problem except when I walk downhill. There is almost no steps during the loop. The first 3 loop took a little bit more than 5 hours. It is very sure that I will have enough time to do 6 loops if my body permits.

After a short break, my 4th loop goes on. But just after I started, the sky started to get dark and there is a light rain. The tree/leaves are dense enough in the first part of the loop that I did not get wet at all. But I was worrying that if the rain get stronger, I may not generate enough heat in my walk. However, just another 30 minutes, the rain passed and the sun comes out again. Timing of the loop is 1:45:00 as well, pretty consistent. The last lap was slower at around 1:55:00, partially take extra precaution going into the last 4.5km. But overall timing is 9:12:35 for the 5 laps. I have enough time left to make it a 6 laps. However, considering my injury on my right ankle and left leg ITB, I don't want to make it worse and call it a day for MR25 Ultra 2009. The timing, in comparing with my 5 laps in 2007, was 56 minutes faster. Mainly due to reduction in break time and more consistent timing across the 5 laps.


I collected my certificate and the finisher's t-shirt but did not wait for the ceremony. I was simply too tired. During the MR25, I was not wearing my SKINS. Instead, I just wear a simple New Balance tight. I think that the SKINS does contribute to less fatigue in a long run/walk. I will definitely use it in the future.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing the MR25 ultra! Another achievement in a great year of racing!

    ReplyDelete