Monday, October 10, 2011

6th Penang 12 hr walk

This is my first time joing the Penang 12 hr walk.  I went there on Sat and back to Singapore on Sunday. I don't even stay in a hotel.


The event has 200+ participant. The sky open up before midnight and the right did not stop throughout the night. Therefore, basically a wet race most of the time. At one time, the rain is so serious that if it is a Formula 1 race, I think they would have red flag it. I am in the Junior Veteran group which has 37 participant. Singapore Akira Swift has sent a team over there as well.

I started slow as part of my warm-up routine. A few laps later, I was lapped by a young guy, then, later by more people. But I was on a turtle strategy - slow and consistent. When it was 20+ laps, the sky opens up. I quickly grab my poncho and put it on. I continue to walk at a steady pace of 9:00 to 10:00 per km. Some participant initially seek shelter and some conintue when the rain get a little bit lighter. Some holding an umbrella while walking. Initially, the poncho was creating quite a wind resistance when walking pass the waterfront section. I later tie some knot to make it fit better and reduce some drag. If I don't have the poncho, I definitely cannot go on as I would have lost body heat and get into hypothemia (shivering is one of the sign). When I developed some signs of cramps, I approach the medical tent, but they advise not to put in counterpain, saying that when it mixed with rainwater, it becomes too hot. I ignore it and use my own, it works fine. Sometimes, the "expert" may not be right.

At the middle of the course on Lubet Light, there are street light and decoration blow up during the walk due to the rain. A little bit of spark flies! And street light keep switch on-and-off randomly.

For my slow and steady strategy to work, I seldom take breaks. Only a few to stretch my back which last for less than a minute. Or when I apply my deep heat rub. All my food and drink are grab-and-walk-while-eating style. Just slowly piling up mileage. Since the rain never stops, I never change shoe or t-shirt. I completed the marathon distance at 6 hr 22 minutes which is a good timing. When approaching the end-game, when there is 68 minutes left, I can either simply go for 6 more lap at 10 minutes pace or try to squeeze in another lap but will need to go faster for an hour. I decided to try it out. I got into 3 laps of 8:30 pace and then another 3 laps at 9:00 pace. At the end, I finished my 72 laps with 2 minutes to spare. The total distance is about 77.6km. This is a new record for me. My first 12 hr walk was 60km, last year, I got to 75km.

In my category, I was ranked 4th and got a trophy and a RM50 prize money. The winner has 84 laps (90.5 km). Even the third place person is 79 laps. 4th is really the best I can get.

Amazingly, there is no blister even though my feet as soaked in the water for 8 hr+. When I first took of the socks, both feet are completely white in colour (like those water soaked chicken feet). It takes an hour of drying to return back to yellow-ish colour.

Overall, the organiser is ok.
- have a room for luggage (you need to pay RM 1). When you need to leave your passport with them, it is important that you feel safe.
- food was alright. There are water melon, banana, sandwiches, curry puff, packaged break, egg, rice noodle.
- drink was NOT alright. They only have plain water. I think it is lucky that it rains, otherwise, I can see people drinking too much water and have hyponatremia. The coffee truck and the milo truck disappear after the race started. Why?
- there is a medical tent, that's good.
- there is music and some performance. But when the rain started, the music is gone
- there is only a small analog clock about 50cm in diameter. They should have those big digial clock instead!
- Finisher medal is alright. The cert is not customized (fill-by-yourself)
- no goodie bag (not a concern for me)
- t-shirt is not dri-fit
- bib is cloth, although old fashion, but works much better than paper in the rain!!
- there is no umpire around. Some people run in the back stretch and one of the "runner" won a prize.
- only one timing station. Not sure any one take shortcut. It is actually possible to take shortcuts.

Overall, it is a good walk in park.

No comments:

Post a Comment