Sunday, October 10, 2010

North Face 100





Completed my first North Face 100km duo. Like participation in other event, I was not able to sleep well the night before. I believe I had only 3-4 hours of sleep. Arrived at MacRitchie at around 6am. Meet up with my running partner Chew-Choon. Our team is named "Runners@45" cos we are both at 45.

Before the race, I have target 8 hr 45 minutes. I print out a cue card with the expected timing of each km and have it laminated. It helps to keep track of my progress vs plan.

Not sure whether my right ankle will hold up for the 50km, I use a conservative strategy - brisk walk all the way!

The original intend is to have a slower first 3km to warm up and then speed up. But again, it is easier to say than to do it. My first 3km are still too fast (about 1min/km faster than planned). Before reaching Bukit Timah, I can keep my pace below 9 min/km. But the section in Bukit Timah is new to me as I never train in this section. The trail go around the Bukit Timah Hill is much tougher than I thought. I slowed down a little bit but still keeping overall time in check. Thanks to the mango provided by one of the supporter under the BKE. And another supporting providing Coke at Mandai Road. Everything is fine up to arriving at Lor Asrama. Next is the grueling section of Lor Asrama. The first portion is really easy until we hit an "endless" uphill section. But think about it, it cannot be worse than the McLehose route of a 2km uphill section with about 200m vertical climb cos at most, you climb up only 160m. I guess it is the "unexpected factor" since I never train in Lor Asrama. Then, it was around 11am and it was HOT! There is little shade in Lor Asrama. And about mid-way in Lor Asrama (25km), my right shoe give up. Some part of the out sole is separate from the mid sole and is "flapping" in each step. I took out my plaster tape and tape it up. Hope that it will last to the end.


At 27km, here come the biggest challenge. A 45 degree hill on the the path. I basically need to use both hand and foot to climb up the hill. The tire muscle almost got cramp up. And after the hill is the mid-way checkpoint. And later in Lor Asrama, my left shoe also lost some rubber in the out sole. The uneven surface of Lor Asrama plus the hot temperature, even my shoes were giving up. Both legs also showing early sign of cramp. I had to be very careful in going uphill. In some section, I slowed down to 13 min/km due to the long uphill slope.

On the way back from Lor Asrama to Zheng Hua Park, I was very sleepy. I have to try to wake myself up. I used up two packets of GU gel (Chocolate favour with Caffeine). But still feel sleepy. When I pass by the 35km mark, I cannot believe it as my Garmin watch is showing 38.5km. Did I make a wrong turn? If it is only 35km, then, I am not likely to finish within the cut-off time. Should I give up at the next water point? I arrived at the Zheng Hua Park water station and ask the volunteer over there, but no-one can tell me how far away from the starting point. I just treat it as 12km and go on. At that time, I still have 2 hours and 15 minutes left before the 9 hour cut off time. I topped up my water bag with 2 liters of 100plus + water.

taking a rest at 38km at Zheng Hua Park

On the next 12 km, it is a familiar territory for me as I have trained in this section a few times last year. I keep on a steady pace of 10-11 min/km. The hot weather push for higher consumption of water. About 2km before the finish line, I ran out of water. Finally, I finish the run at 8 hr 45 minutes, exactly as what I have planned at the beginning.

Each finisher is given a medal. This medal is much more difficult to get than the others.

A photo with my teammate Chew-Choon after we finished. He finished about 8 hr 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment