Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sundown Ultra Marathon

Finally put the 84km to rest. Yesterday morning, I still not sure whether I should participate. During the critical 3 months training before the event, I had several injuries - a bad Achilles tendon stopped me from any high intensity training (people may notice that I brisk walk all my training), then 4 weeks before Sundown, I had a bad left lower back muscle, have to miss the planned longest training of 55km (my longest LSD was 42km before Sundown). While after 3 weeks, finally, my left back is completely recovered, guess what, I pull my right back a week before Sundown! Even on 30-May morning, I have a stiff back and have to stretch it about 5 times during the day. I wasn't sure how my back will held up plus the shortage of mileage. Anyway, at the end, I still go for it (Thank god that I make that decision).



Before the race started, I cannot sit down for long time since it will stiffen my back. I got to the wrong starting point and "consume" 200m of my energy. I followed my plan to target 1st loop to be 6.5 hours. I was right on the dot, completed 1st loop 6:31. Then, a bad mistake in my shoe for 2nd loop. I bought a new insole and have trained with it in my Asics Culumus. I bought another one for my Asics Landreth. However, due to my back problem, I cancelled all my training plan and never use it for a long walk. The Landreth is slight narrower and shorter than the Culumus though both are size 10. Just after 3km, the insole was generating too much heat and have signs in forming a blister on my right foot. Several attempt trying to fix it but only be able to get it slightly better. I tried to ask for a pair of scissors to cut out part of the insole but almost all volunteer does not have a pair of scissors. Finally one of the girl has a small nail scissors. I cut out part of the insole. But still, at around 18km in 2nd loop, a big blister formed on my heel. pain now comes in every step. And I was 23km away from the finishing line. In the next 4.5 hours, I walked in pain but slowly getting to the destination. In the 2nd loop, I took a 15 second stretch on my back in every 2km and keep it alright.

I was very conservative in the last 20km and go at a pace of 11-12 min per km. I could have got faster, but I want to play safe. In the last 500m, I started my normal brisk walking pace of sub-9 minutes and run to the finishing line in the last 100m. Finally, finish the 84km at 14:42. From a state of almost want to withdrawn just 24 hours ago to finishing the 84km and put it behind, it is difficult to describe my emotion.


As a quick survey of damages, chaffing under arm and butt, inflamed Achilles tendon, one blister on right foot small toe, huge blister at right foot heel (about the size of two 50 cents coin), blister at left foot ball of foot (about 20 cents coin size). One amazing thing is that I have suppressed the pain from the blisters from more than 4 hours. After I collect the medal/t-shirt, then, all the pain comes. I have a really hard time in walking to my car.

By the way, thanks for the support table at Bedok Town Park. The ice-cold water helps to refresh myself. And the ice-cold 100+ gives my extra energy.save

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on completing the 84 km ultra! Well done.

    ReplyDelete