Saturday, August 30, 2008

Nike Plus SportBand

I got my Nike Plus SportBand Yesterday. It comes in a transparent box with both the sportband and the sensor together.


Inside, there is instruction manual under the base. No software disk in the package. I have to go to the Nikeplus site to download it. If you are using Firefox and have the Adblockplus add-on, you will need to either disable the add-on or add a filter @@http://nikeplus.nike.com/ so that Adblockplus will not block the nikeplus site.
Here is a close up look of the sportband and the sensor. The main unit of the sportband is detachable from the band and have a USB connector to hook up to computer.
To use the sensor on a non-Nike shoe, I use a piece of plastic to wrap the sensor with three holes punched. And use wire-tie to tie it to the shoe lace. It seems to work fine.

I did a run with my Garmin 305 together with the sportband. I run inside a stadium to calibrate it. For two laps of walk or run, Garmin has almost exactly 800m. However, the sportband register 0.77km when I walk and 0.7km when I run at 5:00 pace. I have input them into the calibration screen in the Nikeplus software. Will need to try it out next time to see if the calibration factor works. At least the good part is that it allow independent cal factor for walk and run which will help a lot since I am a run/walk runner.

1 comment: