Sunday, April 27, 2008

Sundown Complete Loop Familiarization Run

Here comes the big one in the familiarization run - A complete 42km loop of the Sundown Marathon route. However, due to the 2.5 hour photo taking that I had a few hours before the run, I have to do a short cut and skip the portion going to big splash in the ECP. My total is 38km (as on the offical route).



When I arrive, there is no more parking space in CarPark 1, 2 & 3. I have to park in carpark 4 and walk 500m to the starting point (and at the end of the run, walk 500m back to my car). The initial pace in first 12km is very good. However, it is getting progressively slower toward the end of the 38km run.



I believe I am going too fast at the beginning. The heart rate concur that. I need to have a better control of my initial pace so that I have a more evenly distributed pace which will mean fast time of a few seconds per km. Over 84km, that is not a small amount. I also need to use my mini-break (between 30s to 1 min) earlier on to have early recover. Maybe I should have mini-breaks at 10km, 18km, 25km, 32km, 37km.

I also tested out a few things:
a. Leukoplast. It is a roll-based plaster (2.5cm x 5m, selling @ S$4+). I tape it on the bottom of my feet. Works well. I don't feel it at all during the run. I also use it to tape up the nipples, no more abrasion!! After the 38km pounding, the plaster is slightly melt and stick to my sock. But removing is not an issue at all (as compare to Duct Tape).
b. Double sock. I first put on Injinji and then Wrightsock. Initially, feels a bit cramped in the forefoot. But some adjustment of the lacing solves it and it feel ok. It does make it a bit heavy. But if I use it with my the light weight shoes (Nike Pegasus TC and Asics Kanji), I think it would be ok.
c. Use the long tight. This one, I have a problem. Last time I use it during HK marathon, there is no problem at all. However, this time, I have abrasion in the groin area. The abrasion is pretty bad. I may need to give up using a long tight...

No comments:

Post a Comment