Thursday, April 17, 2008

Mid-week LSD

In order to prepare for the Sundown Ultra, I decide to up my weekly mileage in the next 3 weeks before the tapering starts mid-May. Therefore, I decide to have a mid-week LSD.

I started 7pm for a 20km stretch on East Coast Park. This is one of my favourite LSD location. This is my longest mid-week LSD. My previous longest one is 11.5km


I simulate the pace that I will use in Ultra. A slow 8:30-9:00/km. If I can stick with this pace throughout the 84km, I have no problem to finish within the cutoff time. The slow speed keep my heart rate low as well, never go above 150. This is what I need for the long 13.5 hours.


I also take the opportunity to try out nutrition during the run. Instead of bringing a pack of gel, I try two solid food - Nature Valley Oats 'N Honey energy bar and Kraft Oreo WaferSticks.

Photobucket
The Nature Valley Energy bar has two bars within a pack. Each bar provides 90kcal for a total of 180kcal. The two bar weighted a total of 42g. Each bar contains 3g of fat, 2g of protein and 80mg of Sodium. It tastes very good because of the honey. I can eat it without water. It feels good. I had 6 packs of them during my carbo load for the Hong Kong Marathon.

The Oreo WaferStick weighted 18g with 90kcal as well. Its energy density is slightly higher than the Nature Valley. Each stick contains 5g of fat, 1g of protein and 30mg of Sodium. It is soft inside and taste good as well. I have used it during the MR25 Ultra (I had a full box of 18 sticks during the event). But it is more easy to break into pieces if you carry it in the pouch. Eating without water is ok though it is not as "full" as the Nature Valley energy bar.
Both works fine and they are relatively much cheaper than gel!! Each pack of Natural valley energy bar is around S$0.8 (for two bars!) while the Oreo WaferStick runs at $0.3 per stick in a box of 18. After the trial, I prefer the Nature Valley Energy bar as it has less fat content and more Sodium.

No comments:

Post a Comment