Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Trailwalker training

During my visit in Hong Kong, I join the team of 10 to have a training night walk on the MacLehose Trail stage 3 & 4. I have not hiked in Hong Kong for more than 15 years (possibly 20 years). And I never had any night walk on trails in Hong Kong. Thanks for YC (veteran in trailwalker) in organising the training.

I bought a head-mounted LED light with a hand-held torch light. Also bought a walking stick. All these items are from Ap-Liu Street. The head-mounted LED for HK$24, the torch light for HK$25 and another $25 for the walking stick.

The original plan was to cover stage 3, 4 & 5. But at the end of stage 4, the team voted for exiting via 飛鵝山道.


The total distance counted by the Garmin 305 is 24.22 km, excluding the part from exiting Camp Gilwell (基維爾營) to Choi Hung.


There are a couple of long climb. For example, the 1st 1 km was a uphill climb with 220m elevation gain. These climbs are tough. Even my 70 storeys stair-climb training is not enough. During the stage 4, my quad muscle has started to get tired and I have to slow down and taking 10 second breaks for every 15-20 steps during the uphill climb. Overall, the team spent 9 hours on stage 3 & 4 (we do have two extended breaks with each last for 15 mins). I can go faster on the flat and downhill portion. The walking stick proved to be very useful (the first time I use walking stick). The head-mount light was a bit weak. I think I will buy another one that is brighter. But the weather is really hot and humid. Even at the top of the 雞公山, there is very little wind. I used up about 4 liters of water/isotonic drinks. Luckily, we have a supply at the end of stage 3 and don't need to carry all the water. I also not using the proper shoes. I brought along the Mizuno Elixir which is too soft and not providing enough support.

Just the stage 3 & 4 is so tough that it is almost equivalent to finish a full marathon. Luckily, the stage 3 & 4 are the only two 3-star stages in MacLehose trail. The rest are 1-star and 2-star only. But still need more training, especially for the quad and the minor muscles to control the ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment